If you are anything like many patients, you struggle with dry eyes. The annoying feeling that gets increasingly worse throughout the day, with seemingly no solution. Well, that day has finally come where people like us no longer have to blink excessively or rely on eye drops! The Oculus Keratograph 5 (K5) makes this kind of life possible. This is game-changer in the optic world for dry eye assessment. This machine allows your optometrist to have an in-depth look at your eye anatomy and tear film to better diagnose the symptoms related to dry eye, and in turn what to do to fix it. The four following things are what become scanable and measurable thanks to this new technology:
- The quality of lipids in tears
- The number of tears
- Tear break-up time
- The integrity of the Meibomian (oil) Glands
- Intense Pulse Light (IPL) Therapy – This remains the most effective treatment for dry eyes on the market.
- Blephasteam – To soften and unblock healthy oils already within the eye area.
- Demodex – Eradication of abnormal amounts of eyelash mites.
- Punctual Plug – To retain moisture in the eye.
- Lacrimal Lavage – To unblock tear ducts.
- Home Treatment – Talk to your eye doctor about your options of treating your dry eye symptoms from the comfort of your own home.
How will this benefit you?
The new technology offered through the K5 will allow eye doctors to more accurately and timely diagnose the symptoms, and dry eyes to then find the most appropriate treatment on an individualized scale. This will even help track improvements of said treatments.
Dry Eye Treatments
In the following list, you will see many different types of treatments options. Obviously, it is best to consult your doctor to see what treatment is best for your eye health.